I love chickpeas. Chances are you’ll see a lot of chickpea recipes from me coming up. This salad comes together so quickly that I can make this whenever I’m in a pinch. It goes even faster if you don’t cook the chickpeas on the stove. I also make a similar hot dish that I serve over rice/cauliflower rice that I’ll post at a later date. Chickpeas and tomatoes just taste so great together!
I love this dish because it doesn’t require me to dirty up a lot of dishes and it uses things I typically already have. I tend to buy a lot of tomatoes at a time but I love when I can go to the farmer’s market and find a bunch of interesting colors. Please forgive the iPhone photos, I lost my camera charger when I was on vacation and had to order a new one. Insert eye roll here.
- 1 Can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups Halved Grape Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Basil
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook chickpeas with cumin, onion powder, paprika, and salt and pepper for a few minutes until lightly browned then set aside to cool.
- While chickpeas are cooling, whisk together salad ingredients.
- Once cooled (they don’t have to be completely room temp) combine chickpeas, tomatoes, and dressing in a bowl.
- Once combined, it’s best to refrigerate with for at least half an hour to let the flavors meld.
Serve by itself, over mixed greens, in a pita, with pita chips, the possibilities are endless. I like to add chopped avocado and eat with a warm pita. It’s easy to double the recipe to last longer in the fridge. It’s such a flexible recipe that you can easily add in more vegetables. I find it easy to make this at the beginning of the week and then it’s easy for me to add it to whatever else I’m eating.